Our Mission: NEIM is a nurturing environment that cultivates each child’s intellectual and creative potential while instilling a sense of individual and global responsibility. We directly follow the philosophy, principles and methods of Dr. Maria Montessori.
The Montessori Method of Education supports the child’s developmental needs for freedom within limitations. In a carefully prepared environment the child is guaranteed exposure to materials and experiences through which to develop intelligence as well as physical and psychological abilities.
NEIM is an equal opportunity center. Applications for employment and enrollment are considered without regard to race, religion, color, gender, national origin, disabling conditions, or any other basis prohibited by law. NEIM will follow the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) as required by law.
Current Events at NEIM….
August 31 will mark 150 years since the birth of Maria Montessori! All around the world Montessorians are celebrating and sharing her rich history. Click here to learn more!
UPDATE: Due to the possibility of storms this evening we will postpone our Annual Public Board Meeting until next Tuesday, July 21, 2020. We will still plan to meet at Phelps Park at 6:30 pm. The public is invited to attend our Annual Public Board Meeting on Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 6:30 pm. It […]
The Northeast Iowa Montessori School is proud to introduce the newly expanded Elementary program starting the 20/21 academic school year. Previously called E1, which were ages 6-9 will now be called “Elementary” program and will be for ages 6-12. This will allow for children aged 9-12 to extend and broaden the foundations set by the […]
Plan to attend the Open House from 10am-Noon this Saturday! This is your time to register your student for the 2020/21 academic school year. We are thrilled to introduce our NEW E2 program for ages 9-12. Come and meet the guides and ask questions and try out the Montessori materials! Treats will be offered. “In […]
What Parents Say
- We had three daughters attend Northeast Iowa Montessori and each benefitted from their time in NEIM in different ways. This is because NEIM encourages children to be independent learners, so each of our children were able to explore their own interests and begin to discover their unique gifts.
- All of our children still talk about the fun of choosing their own work. The Montessori method allows children to take ownership of their learning and we still see the effects of this several years after their time at NEIM.
- As parents, we especially liked how the younger children were mentored by the older kids and then, as they became older, had the chance to be mentors themselves. The older children develop confidence and become comfortable being leaders, and it is great to see friendships form between kids of different ages.
- They let us choose what we wanted to do and experience things on our own.
- I still remember cutting pickles. I mean, who learns to cut pickles?
- We see our children growing and transforming before our eyes, building upon skills to mastery. They are so much more than what we’ve been told children are, simple sponges; we’ve found at NEIM, they are creators, thinkers, artists, writers, singers, builders, givers, and advocates for peaceful community. We beam when our children feel compelled to share their works with us and feel they have the time and space to relish in what they discover there. Our expectations of what we thought they would get from this simple early education program have been exceeded. We are eternally grateful!
- I did more challenging math with Ms. Christine. She helped me do harder things.The base ten blocks helped.
- I made friends with people I never would be friends with on my own – like little kids.