Northeast Iowa Montessori School
The Joy of Discovery
NEIM is a nurturing environment that cultivates each child’s intellectual and creative potential while instilling a sense of individual and global responsibility. We directly follow the philosophy, principles and methods of Dr. Maria Montessori.
The Montessori Method of Education supports the child’s developmental needs for freedom within limitations. In a carefully prepared environment the child is guaranteed exposure to materials and experiences through which to develop intelligence as well as physical and psychological abilities.
What Parents Say
- We had three daughters attend Northeast Iowa Montessori and each benefitted from their time in NEIM in different ways. This is because NEIM encourages children to be independent learners, so each of our children were able to explore their own interests and begin to discover their unique gifts.
- All of our children still talk about the fun of choosing their own work. The Montessori method allows children to take ownership of their learning and we still see the effects of this several years after their time at NEIM.
- As parents, we especially liked how the younger children were mentored by the older kids and then, as they became older, had the chance to be mentors themselves. The older children develop confidence and become comfortable being leaders, and it is great to see friendships form between kids of different ages.
- They let us choose what we wanted to do and experience things on our own.
- I still remember cutting pickles. I mean, who learns to cut pickles?
- We see our children growing and transforming before our eyes, building upon skills to mastery. They are so much more than what we’ve been told children are, simple sponges; we’ve found at NEIM, they are creators, thinkers, artists, writers, singers, builders, givers, and advocates for peaceful community. We beam when our children feel compelled to share their works with us and feel they have the time and space to relish in what they discover there. Our expectations of what we thought they would get from this simple early education program have been exceeded. We are eternally grateful!
- I did more challenging math with Ms. Christine. She helped me do harder things.The base ten blocks helped.
- I made friends with people I never would be friends with on my own – like little kids.
Parent Orientation Meeting: August 21, 2018, 5:45 pm – 7:00 pm. All parents are invited to this informational meeting – come and hear the new things happening this year.
Our 2018-19 New Student Orientation will be August 27-28, 2018 from 9:00am- Noon.